Sunday 13 July 2014

First Market Day

First day on the market.... My poor body is put through so many emotions I'm surprised I'm still able to function lol.  I have been psyching my self up for market day all week.  Well for weeks actually but more so this week!  Kept thinking 'what if no one buys anything'.  I needn't have worried.

I started baking cup cakes on Thursday.  Didn't want to start too early as I wanted them to be as fresh as possible on the Saturday.  Have I ever told any of you...... I HATE making and decorating cupcakes!!  My passion lies with the bigger cakes. But, cupcakes sell, so there we are, I had to make em. I must have baked around 60ish, all different flavours; Vanilla, Coffe and Walnut, Almond and Chocolate.  My Daughters helped to decorate them.....boooorrriinngggg.....

I also made two chocolate cakes, a large coffee and walnut cake, choc chip cookies, muffins and cake pops.  I also made for the first time ever cake pops!  I make red velvet ones to begin with.  I must admit, I only made these from error.  I attempted to make Red Velvet cup cakes but they went terribly wrong!  Sunk in the middle they did!  So, rather than just them away, I broke up the pieces of sponge and placed them in my food mixer, zapped them for a bit until they resembled bread crumbs, albeit very red bread crumbs!  I added the frosting then took a small amount and rounded it I to a ball. I weighed each and every ball to ensure they were all the same size.
I decorated these using Candy melts.  Another first for me.  I added some white fat to the candy melts as recommended in many cake pop recipes.  This enabled me to cover each ball without the chocolate mixture being too thick.  It instead, was a lovely smooth runny mixture.  I was unable to put the cake balls on sticks as the stick were to flimsy for the cake balls, so I placed them into mini cake slices instead. Once they were decorated with sprinkles etc, they looked pretty good!

Definateley will make these again..

I was up until 1.45 am baking as I also had a cake for a customer to make.  One of the Pig in Poop cakes.  I love making these cakes!  As the customer was picking the cake up on Saturday, I had to have it completed for the Friday night.  Why leave it so late to make it you say...... Well because the cake was not ordered until Thursday afternoon!!  I do love a challenge!!  Although, my body will disagree lol.

I was up at 6.00 am Saturday morning as I still had muffins to make, had to load the cakes and equipment into the car, shower, get dressed then head for town.  I had to be there at 8.00 am.  I was taking out my muffins from the oven at 7.50 am!!

My hubbie and I set up the stall. It didn't talk long to do at all.  My hubbie kept giving me hints and ideas of where to put stuff, think the look told him I didn't need his help with this lol!

I didn't have my first costumer for about 90 minutes.  But after that, I had a nice stream of customers. The other stall holders were very kind and welcoming.  This helped put my mind at rest as I was a mess inside!! I didn't stop shaking until around 1pm.  I love talking to people though so it was quite a good experience.  Since leaving my full time job, I haven't had much contact with people other than my friends and family.  I must admit, I thought I'd see more people I knew but there were so many unfamilular faces in town!  I'm getting old lol!

My hubbie says this is the ideal job for me as I love chatting.  I have no idea what he means ;0)

We started to pack up around 3 pm.  I couldn't wait to get in.  Unfortunately, baking for two days straight then standing on my feet for most of the day, my foot that I broke last year was swollen to double it's size!  Ouchy!  Will need to keep an eye on that!!

I didn't come back with a lot of stock thankfully.  There's only such much cake one person can eat!!

I'm so thankful for all the support I received on Saturday. It confirms that I have done the right move!

Now, gotta get on with planning for next Saturday. Hope to see you there!!



No comments:

Post a Comment